The fictional suburban setting for the situation comedy LEAVE IT TO BEAVER/CBS/ABC/1957-63.
Residents of the town of Mayfield included:
- Hugh Beaumont as Ward Cleaver, an accountant who lives at 485 Mapleton Street (later 211 Pine Street).
- Barbara Billinsley as June Evelyn [née Benson] Cleaver, Ward's wife who is always well-dressed about the house.
- Tony Dow as Wally Cleaver, the older son who plays sports and is a good role model for his younger brther Theodore.
- Jerry Mathers as Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver, the cute younger son who wears a baseball cap.
- Ken Osmond as Eddie Haskell, Wally's obnoxious friend who is always coming up with dumb ideas that get Wally in trouble.
- Frank Bank as Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford, Wally dimwitted friend and the son of Ward's boss.
- Richard Deacon as Fred Rutherford, Lumpy's father who is always telling Ward how to raise his sons, despite that fact that his own son is often getting in trouble.
- Pamela Beaird as Mary Ellen Rogers, Wally's girlfriend.
- Rusty Stevens as Larry Mondello, Beaver's fat friend.
- Stanley Fafara as Whitey Whitney, Beaver's friend
- Stephen Talbot as Gilbert Bates, Beaver's friend
- Richard Corell as Richard Rickover, Beaver's friend.
- Tiger Fafara as Tooey
- Buddy Hart as Chester
- Jeri Weil as Judy Hensler, Beaver's nosy, nemesis at school.
- Madge Blake as Mrs. Mondello, Larry's overattentive mother.
- Diane Brewster as Miss Canfield, Beaver's second-grade teacher at Grant Avenue Elementary School.
- Sue Landers as Miss Landers, Third Grade Teacher
- Doris Packer as Miss Cornelia Rayburn, the School Principal
- Burt Mustin as Gus, an elderly fireman and Beaver's friend.
TRIVIA NOTE: The exact loaction of the town of Mayfield was never revealed on the series, although hints in the dialog like a reference that Ward was raised in Shaker Heights implied the town was set in Ohio. Howver, on episode "The Boat Buidlers" Ward mentioned the ocean was 20 miles away.
Mayfield also appeared in the sequel CBS made-for-TV movie "Still the Beaver" (1983) and the subsequent situation comedy STILL THE BEAVER (a.k.a. "The New Leave It To Beaver")/DIS/1985-89.
On the updated sitcom, the cast is now grown. Wally is a lawyer. He lives with his children Kelly and baby Kevin and his wife, Mary Ellen at 213 Pine Street. Wally's widowed mother June Cleaver still lives next-door at 211 Pine Street with her now divorced 33-year-old son Theodore and his children teenager Skip and preteen Ollie.
Back to Top