The western series THE RIFLEMAN/ABC/1958-63 starred Chuck Connors as
Lucas McCain, a widower homesteader who raised his motherless son,
Mark (Johnny Crawford) near the 1888 town of Northfolk, New Mexico.
Before arriving to the Southwest, Lucas was known as the
"Rifleman" in the Nations territory. Reportedly, McCain
could squeeze off a round of ammunition every three-tenth of a
second and fire eight times in two-and-a-half seconds.
Lucas used his skills with his
rifle (a specially modified Winchester) to protect
his home and the local
townsfolk, often coming to the assistance of the aging
Marshal Micah Torrance
Mark and Lucas McCain
When McCain was not tending to the chores at his ranch or helping
the town marshal, he spent time with various people in town. They
- John Harmon as Eddie Holstead, the owner of the Madera House
- Gloria DeHaven as Lillian Holstead, Harmon's daughter
- Hope Summers as Hattie Denton, the general store owner
- Joan Taylor as Millie Scott, the proprietor of the general
store and McCain's love interest. She bought the store from
- Cheryl Holdridge as Sally Walker, Millie's niece
- Patricia Blair as Lou Mallory, a kind-hearted con-artist
who owns the Mallory House Hotel. She also owned the general
store, a farm and several parcels of land around town.
- Harlin Warde as John Hamilton, the Norfolk Bank President
- Bill Quinn as Sweeney, the Last Chance Saloon bartender
To travel into town and about, McCain used a horse and wagon.
Lucas rode a horse named Razor; his son, Mark rode Blue Boy.
Johnny Gibbs (Jerome Courtland), McCain's brother-in-law and Artemis
Quarles (Thomas Gomez), Lucas's cousin by marriage occasionally
visited Lucas and Mark at their ranch.
Born in Brooklyn, NY on April 10, 1921, Chuck
Connors died of lung cancer and pneumonia on
November 10, 1992. Later in his career,
Connors starred in the western drama
On the sci-fi sitcom OUT OF THIS WORLD/SYN/1987-91 Doug McClure
played Cowboy Kyle, a western movie/TV character who wore fancy
shirts with ruffles. Off-the-set, Kyle was nicknamed The Ruffleman.
Obituaries: Bill Quinn - April 29, 1994;
Paul Fix - October 14, 1983; John Harmon -
August 6, 1985; Hope Summers - June 22, 1979.
Back to Top